Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Magic start


How I wish this site was around when I first got into magic about 22 years ago. Actually, I wish the internet was around then. Back when I first got the bug, the only real 4 places to buy magic in the UK were Davenports, International Magic Studio, Repro and Supreme. Ahhh the good old days.

Very briefly (or maybe not so) for those that are interested and can't sleep, I got hooked at about 15 yrs old. Got into kids' magic, close up and then found my calling in comedy stage magic. My best friend at school became my backstage technician and we eventually formed a comedy double act. We worked this though school, college and our day jobs and almost went full time pro. Our act had all sorts in it - magic, illusions, juggling, unicycling, and we wrote, directed and performed in a handful of our own full evening stage shows for a few years.

Our act was called Magic Incorporated and we worked all round the UK including appearing in a couple of the Magic Circle Christmas shows as guests (we never joined); the London Palladium and Her Majesty's Theatre in big charity shows; and probably one of my most memorable shows at the IBM stage competition in Scarborough around 1992. This was when our Pendragon sub trunk spoof raised the roof with the loudest cheer and roar of laughter I've ever heard, in front of a couple of thousand of our peers. The write up in the Budget afterwards had the reviewer very kindly saying - "the best sight gag of the convention".

We stopped performing around 1997 as our day job took over - we both started and run a media production company, however I still enjoy watching, magically jamming and staying connected to the art.

It's been about 13 years since I've properly performed on stage and am seriously thinking about coming back with a solo act.

I've been mulling over a few ideas for routines with a close friend of mine who back then wrote for us and directed some of our routines. This site is an amazing resource and I'm sure it won't be long before I have a script in my hand looking for venues to perform at.

Well, I'm off now to research for some ideas and hope to chat to some of you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment